2010年3月24日

The Elephant Bristish Pub

Name: The Elephant British Pub
Category: Bistro
Location: 20 Vaughan Pl (Off Rundle Street, next to Nova Cinema)
Website: www.paddymaguires.com/adelaide/theelephant


Yesterday, me and my friends decided to watch Alice in Wonderland in the evening. While I was wondering what we should have for dinner before the movie starts, my housemate recommended this bistro next to the cinema. She tried the food there once and apparently it was good.

So there we went after class (and work, for her), to Rundle Street. As we entered the bistro, we were welcomed by the warm and cozy atmosphere. (Note: Warm and cozy in my opinion is not the stereotypical bright kind of place. I hate the light!)

So we went in and found ourselves a seat at the far end of the bistro, and started scanning the dinner menu (requested from the bartender). What shocked us at first was that one of the choices in the dinner menu was a Full English Breakfast. o_O;


Anyway, after taking eons in deciding what we should get, I finally settled for the Roast of the Day, while she chose the Char Grilled Chicken. While waiting for our food, I looked around the bistro to hopefully catch a glimpse of the "regular patrons" to further assess the place. There were a few middle-aged people at tables in front of us, while there were a group of mid to late 20s sitting around a coffee table in the centre of the bistro, chatting their way joyfully.

The ambiance of the place was very good in my opinion: quiet, comfy and just the right amount of lighting.


About 10 to 15 minutes later, dinner was served. It was at that point that it hit me that I've forgot to ask what was the Roast of the Day. (XD *sighs* I guess recent events had tire me out to the point where I've developed a "Hit Me!" or "Closing My Eyes and Randomly Putting My Finger on the Middle of the Menu" kind of approach when it comes to meals.) The roast turned out to be veal by the way. It was served with sides of vegetables and mash potato.

Anyway, it was time to dig in. The gravy of the roast was just too good! The meat was just so succulent and tender. At first, I was skeptical when I saw that my knife was just a regular dinner knife and not a steak knife. How was I going to cut into my meat?! But it turned out that the meat was so well done that even a dinner knife could cut it into pieces! :o

Overall, I would give the Roast of the Day a (rare) 90! The whole dish was very very good.

I've also stole a bite of my housemate's Char Grilled Chicken, and the garlic-mustard gravy was to die for! I thought to myself that I would order that the next time around, but then again, my adventurous streak would flash a red light and make me try the other dishes instead.



All in all, The Elephant is definitely a good choice to go to, not just to dine in, but also for a drink or two, to unwind one's self after a stressing day of work (or lectures).


Rei's score:
Food: 90/100
Drinks: NA (Didn't get any alcoholic drinks)
Ambiance and decor: 85/100
Overall verdict: 90/100

0 件のコメント: